Use of telescoping pile in floating concrete marina design was first conceived by Bellingham Marine in 2006 during the design of a 150 meter long floating wave attenuator for the Royal Sydney Yacht Squadron at Kirribilli near Sydney, Australia.
Since its use at Kirribilli, Bellingham’s telescoping pile has been used on several other projects and is gaining popularity among high end marina owners that are looking for a mooring solution for their floating docks that combines the benefits of a traditional pile system with the clean visual look of a chain anchored dock system.
One of the business strategies of a successful marina operator is that they look for and find opportunities where others see nothing. By approaching the design and operation of their facility with an eye for solutions that capitalize on site-specific features and have long term financial viability they are able to identify opportunities that generate financial profit and wealth.
As many marinas would attest, fees from slip rentals alone are rarely enough to keep a marina afloat (no pun intended). The business typically needs an additional source(s) of revenue. The challenge for the owner or operator is to identify what those sources are.
In an effort to survive a tough economy and build a financially sustainable business marinas are getting creative. A marina in Washington State provides us with a good example of what one marina has done to help build their profitability.
Rose Bay Marina, and the adjacent property, Point Piper Marina are so dramatic a departure from the ordinary, it’s difficult to imagine more outre marinas. The two new marinas were developed by Denis and Ned O’Neil of Addenbrooke Pty Ltd. and design-built by Bellingham Marine Australia (BMA). Located in southeast Sydney Harbour, they may be the highest expression of marina design anywhere in the world.
MAGAZINE: Marina World
ISSUE: May/June 2012
FOR A COMPLETE COPY OF THE ARTICLE DOWNLOAD THE PDF.
Residents of Aransas Pass live and breathe fishing. The waters of Conn Brown Harbor are rich with fish and provide easy access to the Intracoastal Waterway. Once a natural safe harbor for local shrimp boats, when the shrimp industry died, so did the surrounding area. Businesses closed, boats were abandoned and the area became a ghost town.
For many years, the waterfront was neglected and the potential of Conn Brown Harbor sat unrealized. That has recently changed. In 2011, the City of Aransas Pass received funding through a grant program referred to as BIG (Boating Infrastructure Grant) to help finance the cost of a transient marina. The plan for the marina was to provide short term moorage for anglers and recreational boaters.
Once funding was secured, the design for the marina was finalized. Bellingham Marine was hired as the design /build contractor. The completed facility includes slips for boats up to 60’ with side-tie space for boats up to 100’. 75% of the total cost of the project was funded through the grant; the city provided the remaining 25%.
Power and water are available on the docks. A fuel dock is also on site. Upland from the marina is a dry storage facility with racks for 250 vessels. The docks as well as the drystack building are managed by Redfish Bay Boathouse.
According to Mike Moore, Operations Manager for Redfish Bay Boathouse, the project has been a great success story. “Everyone is elated,” remarked Moore. “They love the new marina and what it’s doing for the area.” The grand opening of the marina was marked with a Redfish tournament hosted by Cabela’s; Fox Sports SW was present. 42 boats and 84 anglers participated in the tournament.
As the world’s leading marina design-build construction company, Bellingham Marine produces Unifloat® concrete floating dock systems as well as timber and metal frame systems. The company also produces Unistack® dry stack systems for marinas worldwide.
In the 19th Century, the remote Galapagos Islands offered Darwin a laboratory for observing evolution and the competition among species for survival. In recent years, the Middle East has served the same purpose for competing marina systems.
The United Arab Emirates (UAE) has been the focal point of this unplanned ‘survival of the fittest’ experiment because of rapid evolution of pontoon systems in the area.
ARTICLE: Middle East Marinas: lessons from an emerging market
ISSUE: Euromarina Vol. 8, issue 6 2012
FOR A COMPLETE COPY OF THE ARTICLE DOWNLOAD PDF.